I can hardly believe that Dillon will start school this fall. How did it come up so quick? In the back of my mind, I knew he was starting school, but all of a sudden it's a mere three weeks away!
We went to kindergarten orientation back in June. As I pulled into the school parking lot, I looked over at Dillon and the calm kid that had been there when we left home, was no longer there. There was panic and nervousness written all over his face. I was going to be with him the whole time, so I was surprised to see how scared he was. He clung to my side the whole time we were there. When we were done he asked to play on "his" playground and the care free Dillon I knew returned.
Last weekend Dillon and I made a special trip to go school supply and clothes shopping, just for him. He chose a new lunch kit, Cars of course. We picked out some new clothes and tried them on. It was so funny to see the excitement in his eyes as he tried on his new clothes and checked himself out in the mirror. He also picked out a new pair of shoes:
Yesterday we received a letter from his teacher, giving details about school and some of the fun things they would do. This first day of school is coming up quick!
Another big change will be getting him used to riding that big yellow school bus. He's excited about riding the bus, but won't know any of the kids on it. So many new things!
But for now, we will enjoy a few more summer activities and our lazy, sleeping in every morning schedule. Because the routine that comes with school will happen soon enough.
1 comment:
i'm nervous for him...nervousness about those new things in life are often there, i'm thinking about starting new jobs, parenting - how crazy to think of the newness as a little 5 yr old.
Post a Comment